Posted: July 29, 2014 11:57 am
Downtown Erie is about to get a lot more colorful as it becomes home to The Color Run Saturday, August 9! This event will bring more than 10,000 participants and thousands of spectators to downtown Erie on the morning of the event.
The Color Run is an untimed 5K race which boasts more than 170 events in over 30 countries, making it the largest event series in the United States. Participants line up at the start line in white clothes and are doused in colored powder at each kilometer. Dubbed “The Happiest 5K on the Planet,” the race will conclude with a post-race Finish Festival featuring music, dancing, and more color throws in Perry Square. The Erie race is being hosted by The City of Erie and the Erie Sports Commission. United Way of Erie County is serving as the partnering charity for the event.
The race is scheduled to start on Saturday, August 9 at 8 a.m. in front of the courthouse on West 6th St. with waves of runners starting every few minutes until 9:30 a.m. Music and event festivities will begin at approximately 6:30 a.m. and continue throughout the morning.
Because of the nature of the event, several road closures will be in effect in the downtown area on both Friday, August 8 and Saturday, August 9.
The following closures will take effect on Friday, August 8:
- State St. between North and South Park Row will be closed beginning at noon
- State St. between South Park Row and 7th St. beginning at 5 p.m.
The following roads will be closed from 4 a.m. until 2 p.m. on August 9th:
- W 10th between Sassafras St. & Myrtle St.
- W 10th between Cherry St. & Poplar St.
- Liberty St. between W 10th St. & W 11th St.
- W 11th between Walnut St. & Chestnut St.
- W 11th between Sassafras St. & Peach St.
In addition, no parking will be available (metered or street parking) beginning at 4 a.m. on Saturday, August 9:
- Along the race route (http://thecolorrun.com/erie/2014-08-09/)
- State St. between North Park Row and 11th St.
We want to make sure your business is aware of the huge and colorful crowds expected to be Downtown on August 9. This event is a great opportunity to showcase our city and for you to show all that your business has to offer! For more information, visit http://thecolorrun.com/erie/.